Frequently asked question
  1. How do I maintain a Mining Permit?

    By maintaining the conditions and regulations of your mining License, paying all due Fee and Renewal conditions as stated when you obtaining the license.

  2. What government agency regulates mining in Zambia?

    The mining industry is administered by the Ministry of Mines and Minerals Development previously called Ministry of Mines, Energy and Water Development, specifically by the office of the Director of Mines. The MMDA gives primary power to the Director of Mines, Director of Mines Safety, Director of Mining Cadastre and Director of Geological Survey while the Minister enjoys an appellate and supervisory role over the respective Director’s actions.

    The aforementioned departments all have their head offices situated in Lusaka, except the Department of Mine Safety which is situated in Kitwe in the Copperbelt Province.

  3. Is there a single source that control mines and mineral resources in Zambia?

    Ministry of mines source; www.ministryofmines.co.zm.

  4. I'd like to learn more about a mine or a mineral claim in Zambia Who do I contact?
  5. What rules applied to mining license for foreign Applicants?

    A prospecting permit, small-scale mining license, small-scale gemstone license, and an artisan’s mining right cannot be granted to a person who is not a citizen of Zambia or a company which is not a citizen-owned company. According to the MMDA, a citizen-owned company means a company where at least 50.1% of its equity is owned by Zambian citizens, and in which the Zambian citizens have significant control of the management of the company.

    It is important to note that there are no restrictions with respect to foreign ownership with regard to holders of large-scale mining licenses.

  6. Section 29 of the MMDA provides restrictive requirements; however, these restrictions only apply to artisanal mining, small-scale mining, a mineral trading permit under Section 45(1) and gold panning certificate under Section 42(1). These cannot be granted to a person who is not a citizen of Zambia or a company which is not a citizen-owned company. Artisanal mining shall only be undertaken by a citizen or a co-operative wholly composed of citizens. Small- scale mining shall only be undertaken by a citizen-owned, citizen-influenced or citizen- empowered company. An applicant for artisanal mining or small-scale mining shall not be granted a mining license in respect of radioactive minerals. Mining right over an area between a minimum of two (2) cadastre units and a maximum of one-hundred-and-twenty (120) cadastre units in extent shall only be granted to the following companies:

    1. a citizen-influencedcompanyhasthemeaningassignedtoitintheCitizensEconomic Empowerment Act 2006;
    2. a citizen-empoweredcompanymeaningacompanywhere25–50%ofitsequityis owned by a citizen; and
    3. acitizen-ownedcompanyhasthemeaningassignedtoitintheCitizensEconomic Empowerment Act 2006.

    There are no restrictions for exploration, large scale mining, mineral processing and mineral import and export permits.

  7. What laws govern mineral collecting on public lands in Zambia?

    The holder of a right to conduct reconnaissance, exploration or mining does not automatically own the right to use the surface of land. However, the holder may have the following rights to use the surface of land:

    1. Toentertheminingareaandtakereasonablemeasuresonorunderthesurfaceforthe purpose of mining operations.
    2. Tocarryonminingoperationsandtodoallsuchotheractsandthingsasarenecessary for carrying on of those operations.
    3. Todisposeofanymineralproductsrecovered.
    4. Tostackordumpanymineralorwasteproduct.
    5. Toerectthenecessaryequipment,plantandbuildingsforthepurposeofmining,

      transporting, dressing or treating the minerals recovered in the course of the mining operations.

  8. What are the restrictions on the export of minerals and levies payable?

    Approval is required from the Director of Mines under the provisions of Section 47 for the export or import of minerals upon payment of statutory fees. Additional approval is required for the export of radioactive minerals. A mineral export permit requires a mineral analysis and evaluation certificate issued by the Director of the Geological Survey, a verification report from the Commissioner General of the Zambia Revenue Authority for the payment of mineral royalties, security clearance by the police, production returns and mineral right or mineral processing certificate of the source of the mineral, or the mineral product.

Still have questions?